In the meantime, I did come up with this version, which is quite tasty and absolutely tastes like cotton candy.
- 1 (18.25 oz) white cake mix
- 2 cups (1 pint) melted cotton candy ice cream*
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place paper baking cups in 24 muffin cups.
- With a stand or electric mixer, beat together all ingredients on low speed until incorporated, and then another 2 minutes on medium speed. Divide evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
Cotton Candy Frosting
This is an adaptation of Magnolia Bakery's old fashioned frosting...
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 to 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons cotton candy extract
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and cotton candy extract. On the medium speed of an electric mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is thick enough to be of good spreading consistency. You may not need to add all of the sugar.
- If desired, add a few drops of food coloring and mix thoroughly. (Use and store the icing at room temperature because icing will set if chilled.) Frosting can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.