This is a tried and true scouting method for cooking cupcakes at camp--my scouts love it! Cook 'em in an orange! And with the addition of chocolate cake mix--well, you get that wonderful chocolate orange taste...
- 1 (18.25 oz) devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 10-12 oranges
- If you are making this at home, heat your oven to 350°. If you are making this at camp--you need a bed of hot coals.
- Slice the top 1/3 of the orange off. Scoop out the fruit, leaving an empty shell.
- Place the cake mix, orange juice, oil, eggs, and orange zest in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Fill the hollow shell 1/2 full with cake batter. At home, place oranges on a baking sheet and bake 18-22 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. At camp, place lid back on the orange. Wrap orange in a 6x6 piece of foil. Place in heat of coals--cook for 10-15 minutes.