This recipe is a Betty Crocker special...
- 1 box (18.25 oz) lemon cake mix
- 1 box (3 oz) lime gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup Key Lime juice (or just lime juice)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- optional--2-3 drops green food coloring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-2 1/2 tbsp Key Lime juice (or just lime juice)
- 1 (8oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Grated lime peel
- Heat oven to 350°. Place paper baking cups in 24 muffin cups. In a large bowl, beat cake mix and gelatin with a stand or electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Add remaining cupcake ingredients. Beat with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for an additional 2 minutes, scraping bowl as necessary. Divide evenly between muffin cups.
- Bake 17-22 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from pan. With toothpick, pierce tops of cupcakes in several places.
- In small bowl, mix 1 cup powdered sugar and enough lime juice that glaze is smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle and spread glaze over cupcakes. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. On low speed, beat in vanilla and 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar until mixed; beat on medium speed until fluffy. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with lime peel.